Thursday, July 1, 2010

So long Goldie's: From made of win to made of meh.

Friends, Trolls, and People Cooler than Me,

Today, I come to you with a heavy heart. What I am about to share has been bothering me for a while now. I wish to air out my feelings about Goldie's Patio Grill. The first Goldie's Patio Grill was opened in 1962 by Goldie and Melvin Crow. It is still operated by the Crow family today. Goldie's burgers, chicken and steaks are specially seasoned and cooked to order, creating an exceptional taste experience. Our goal is to provide guests with great tasting food and friendly prompt service at a reasonable price. This is what the web site states. Now, I know not if it be true; but I have heard that this first opened spot was on the 9th hole of Tulsa's Southern Hills Country Club. I used to love Goldie's. I have even lusted for the old t-shirts that asked: "Is is the meat or the pickles?" At one time I went to the Owasso location so often that the wait staff knew my order by heart. When I worked at a call center in Tulsa's northeast corner I would take the bad marks and rear chewing for being late from going to the 21st & Garnette location. Now that is look back that may have been the beginning of the end of our affair. The service at that location was more or less a gamble. You may get a good server and in and out in time for an hour lunch but sadly more often than not you would be late. I even resorted to changing around my order so I picked items that took less time to cook. As of late I have been going to the location just west of Sheridan on 61st street. The service is just painful at any of the locations currently open. That being said I have all but stopped going to any of them at all. The last good Goldie's encounter I had was over three years ago. It started with sub par service and grew to infect the food going out the pass. Goldie's used to be my favorite spot for a burger and Dr Pepper. I guess unless I hear that things have changed for the better I will just be left with memories. As for now I get my special with bacon and cheese elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment